I don’t know anything about building houses. Is that OK?
Of course! No construction skills are required or necessary. Before your day of volunteering begins, our Construction Supervisor will begin with a safety talk and an overview of the day’s project.This will include introducing you to any tools used during your shift and a brief safety demonstration.
Is there an age limit?
16 is the minimum age requirement for working at the ReStore and office. 18 is the minimum age requirement for working on the jobsite. No one under the age of 16 is allowed on a Habitat construction site. Volunteers under the age of 18 must complete a waiver of liability form that must be co-signed by a parent or guardian. Please keep in mind there is only certain times during the build process that we allow anyone under the age of 18. Please contact us for more information on age restrictions.
What do I wear/not wear?
Comfortable, casual clothing, not too loose
Closed toe shoes (i.e. tennis shoes, work boots)
Hair pulled back
Do I need to bring anything?
No. Safety equipment such as safety glasses, hard hats and gloves are provided.
What should I expect when I arrive at the job site?
There will be a check-in area with a sign-in sheet and waiver for you to sign if you have not already completed the online waiver. After the group arrives, our Construction Supervisor will do an overview of the work and tools you will use for the day. You will also be made aware of some safety information as well.
Anything else to keep in mind?
1. Work in a safe manner, be mindful of your surroundings and bring any safety concerns to the Construction Supervisor.
2. Use protective equipment and do not abuse or misuse materials or equipment.
3. If unsure about how to complete a task or use a piece of equipment, just ask!
4. Drink lots of water and be aware of heat exhaustion.
5. No alcohol/drugs on site.
6. Keep work area clean, collect trash after shift and put in designated trash can.